The most important process of implant treatment is discussing with your dentist carefully whether implant treatment is right for you.
CT scan and OPG X-ray films are often required for a detailed and careful treatment plan before the first stage surgery.
Three general phases of implant procedure are:
1. Implant Placement
2. Healing Process + Gingival Forming
3. Prosthesis Placement (artificial tooth or teeth placement)
A single tooth implant is a stand-alone unit.
It does not involve treating the teeth next to it like the dental bridge.
(Recommended for the anterior tooth/ teeth)
Immediate placement implant is like regular implant.
The main difference is that the implant can be placed immediately after the damaged tooth is removed.
This can help reducing the duration of the bone healing phase after the tooth extraction.
** bone grafting may be required during the surgery.
An implant-supported bridge is the replacement of the missing teeth.
The adventage to the dental bridge is that it does not require support from surrounding teeth.
1. Do not eat until the local anesthetic has worn off. (drinking still be allowed)
2. Do not smoke for at least 2 weeks.
3. Do not disturb the wound:
a. Chew on the opposite side for the first 24 hours.
b. Avoid assuming extremely hot food/ liquid for the first day.
c. Do not disturb the area with your tongue or finger(s).
d. Soft food is recommended for the first 6 days.
Control of Swelling
Swelling is often a side effect of the surgery (it will be worse mostly in the morning).
It will typically be decreased after 48 hours of the surgery.
1. Apply the ice pack over the surgery side.
2. Hold on the ice pack for a maximum of 10 minutes to a maximum of 30 minute. Then take a break for another 20 minutes before applying again.
3. After 24 hours, the hot pack is recommended
4. Elevate the head by the extra pillow on the first 2 nights
Pain Killers should be taken as necessary for the first 2 days.
If the pain seems to be worse, please contact us.
1. complete the course of antibiotics as prescribed according to the given instructions
2. any stiches will be removed after 2-3 weeks of the surgery.